Sunday, February 19, 2012

A day in the life: Sunday

So if I get my way, most of my Sundays are different versions of the same thing.  The boyfriend and I choose a different area close to us and we drive around looking for antiques.  This is usually permeated by stops for coffee, and food.  Saturday night, over a plate of Orleans Fries (sweet potato fries with melted brown sugar and tabasco) at The Friendly Toast we pulled out a map of seacoast New Hampshire antiques dealers, and hatched a plan.


Before we could get to the antiquing, we had to run our Sunday errands.  Each week we go to Tendercrop Farm to get staples such as veggies, fruit, bread, fresh or dried flowers - and most importantly raw dog food.  We also visit with the farm animals, especially Salt the llama.  She's really sassy and I love her DGAF attitude - you can totally see it in her face.

 







We decided to start off in Exeter, NH - which is a "quinissential New England town" home to a charming downtown area and famous for the Phillips Exeter Academy.  The first stop was to a shop that specialized in women's accessories - costume jewlery, handbags, fur coats; the kind of stuff you'd dig for in your grandma's attic.  My goal was to find some cute silk scarves to tie up in my hair (ala this tutorial) but the stop was a complete failure and the store was nothing to write home about.  

That stop was not a waste, however, because we found an even awesome-r place, Architectural Salvage Inc., which was jam packed with a few thousand square feet of salvaged doors, sinks, tubs, floors - anything you could strip from an old house and reuse - they have it.  I don't have use for a lot of the things they carry at this point in my life, but its full of inspiration for our "someday dream house"    

Is that Tre? or Yukon Cornelius down from the North Pole


After that it was food o'clock so we ventured out to a place we found via Google Maps called Susty's Vegan Cafe.  A vegan restaurant in what could be considered the geographic definition of "Bumfuck New Hampshire"?  Yes please!

It was great, the decor was a little spartan and the walls were a little bright but the menu of just regular ass food (versus oat patties made with sprout extract topped with organic seed powder) was just what we needed.  We started with tofu fries, but stomach overpowered brain and we inhaled them before I even thought to reach for the camera.  Safe to say they were great.  For entrees I ordered the roasted seitan with mashed potatoes and kale, and Tre had the special which was a seitan chimmichanga.  We both earned memberships to the clean plate club, and we will definitely be returning to Susty's.






Bumfuck, NH turned out to be a haven of antiques! We stopped by a few places before they all synchronized their closing at 5.  I had scarf finding success and Tre got a few books including a Bible Dictionary from 1885 and an atlas of the world from 1915.




So a moderately successful Sunday.  Now we are home watching Bottlerocket while I snorgle this big white baby and Tre puts tapes up on eBay.  I hope anyone reading this had an equally successful Sunday, especially if you made it through this long long post!


No comments:

Post a Comment