Tuesday, May 15, 2012

Oma's House: Tahoe Petis and Tempeh Kering


On Mother's Day Oma invited me over to teach me how to make Tempeh Kering and Tahoe Petis.  Tempeh kering is an indonesian sweet and spicy dish made with tamarind root and spicy peppers.  It gets all sticky and caramelized and its the kind of thing I would eat with my fingers if it wasn't so rude.  Tahoe, is the Indonesian word for tofu, and petis is the name of the sauce that goes over it.  To make the sauce you mix jalepeno (or whichever pepper you choose) peppers with peanut butter, shrimp/fish paste (we used a vegetarian alternative) and kecap manis with a mortar and pestle, then you just pour the sauce over some tahoe which has been lightly fried in oil.  (In my family "kecap" which is pronounced exactly like "ketchup" means this sweet indonesian soy sauce) Oma is going to e-mail me the recipe for tempeh kering and when I get it from her, I will make a happy belly post and share it with you all!



 
Minatures of the Motherland





2 comments:

  1. that looks so good! you are so lucky

    ReplyDelete
    Replies
    1. I am so lucky, lets set up a date and I'll teach you how to make it!

      Delete